Up my street

Life has been a little odd in London in the past few weeks to say the least. I was at O.H.'s in North London at the weekend of the riots and heard the sirens rushing by. I don't think I've heard so many, it was surreal. Waking up on the Sunday to see the images of what had happened during the night was incredible and I remember thinking what I would feel if that happened to my local area. Well it wasn't long before I found out as Brixton suffered from a similar fate the following night.

Brixton is no stranger to riots and indeed I had moved to Brixton three days before that last major set in the late 90s but this was different. It seemed mindless with no fixed agenda other than greed. Brixton will rise again as it always done but it was so sad given how far Brixton has come in the past 15 years.  I just hope that we haven't gone back to square one!

Anyway here are some images of the worst effected buildings in the High Street which is hopefully only a temporary appearance:


Footlocker which was the worst effected building as far as I could tell having been gutted by fire but only once it had been looted.


This is on the doors of the fabulous Morleys, Brixton's local department store with a view of the front below:

But as you can see Brixton carries on, defiant as always:

The images I've taken are of the buildings showing the scars of the riots and most of the High Street is repaired and has carried on. The only way is up! Here is to happier times..... 

Comments

Popular Posts