A riot of colour

O.H. and I went to see the John Deakin exhibition at the Photographers Gallery which was great but heaving! And I couldn't really take photos. But can highly recommend  the exhibition. John Deakin was a photographer in the 60s hanging out in Soho with the likes of Lucien Freud and Francis Bacon. Was a really interesting snap shot of an amazing time. And it's where my mum spent the early part of the 60s as she worked in Leicester Square and I'm told did frequent the odd Jazz club or two from time to time.

After the exhibition we decided to go for a wander with the ultimate aim of getting to Pimlico. I love just wandering the streets of London as it takes you down streets you wouldn't necessarily go down so you see so many unexpected things. Now O.H. doesn't like to stop and look in shop windows and the like so imagine my disappointment whilst walking down Bond Street when I saw a Chihuly exhibition in one of those posh galleries on the other side of the street but had to carry on walking and I was a little bit forlorn as I love Chihuly's work. Never heard of him? He's a crazy (I think Californian) American who makes these incredible, huge installations out of blown glass. Yes that's right blown glass. There is a massive piece of his in  the V&A in the Foyer which I just love. Anyway I'm going off  the point. A little further down Bond Street O.H. decided that we needed to veer off to the right and to go into Berkeley Square which I wasn't expecting but which was a nice surprise as it's a cute, little square. So I came round the corner and my eyes nearly popped out of my head and a huge beaming smile came across my face when I saw this slap bang in the middle of the square:
Oh yes I had died and gone to heaven. A Chihuly installation in Berkeley Square. An amazing glass tree in a riot of colour to bring a smile to even the saddest of faces.....




What do you think? Incredible or what? But that was not the end of the colour.... 
At the end of this some hybrid of bluebells (they may be Spanish bluebells but don't quote me). Oh happy days indeed. But what's that? You saw even more colour? Yes round the back of Victoria we came across a dry cleaners and repairs shops with the most fantastic range of threads in the window... 



  
Phew! The weather was meant to be grey and gloomy on Sunday but with this riot of colour I went home with a skip in my step ready to face the week. And the good news we even made it to Pimlico tube. What could be better... What did you do this weekend? 



Comments

Popular Posts