Curtain Up

Last Friday I took a cheeky half days holiday so I could get out and about and enjoy some RnR. After a successful trip to John Lewis wool shopping I jumped on the tube down to the Victoria and Albert Museum. I popped into the new Botticelli Reimagined  but as is the way with large exhibitions there was no photography OR sketching so you will have to make do with some snaps from a room dedicated to photography which I don't think I've ever seen before.



I'd discovered the photography gallery whilst making my way to the Theatre Galleries to see 'Curtain Up' a new display celebrating 40 years of the Olivier Awards - the theatre's version of the Oscars.
It was celebrating theatre and musicals both in the West End and Broadway. Above costume design from the Phantom of the Opera
Set design from Warhorse
Costumes from The Lion King
Chicago worn by Ruthie Henshaw
And The Audience worn by Helen Mirren  
The most impressive display was from a Curious Incident of  the Dog at Night Time
Not quite sure I've done it justice but hopefully you get the idea. 
After the exhibition I wandered through the galleries of what use to be the Theatre Museum in Covent Garden which is now housed within the V&A.
There was a whole section of headwear mainly of pantomime dames 
And finally I could resist another pic of the fabulous Adam Ant's costume for Prince Charming. Takes me back to happy memories from my youth. One of my first favorite bands back in the day.... Oh and a cheeky reflection shot of me dear reader if you look close enough!

So there we have it. I should add that I was allowed to take photos in the free Curtain Up exhibition and was indeed encouraged to snap away. I was, however, incredibly disappointed by the Bottecelli exhibition though I suppose it didn't really help that I'm not a huge fan of the original art work at the best of times. But I do get frustrated by galleries not allowing you to take photos.

Comments

Popular Posts