A Walk on the Fells

I've become a creature of habit and go up to see the folks every November in lieu of Christmas. I've been ridiculously lucky with the weather in the past so was convinced that this year the weather would be awful. But again I was in luck and the sun shined down on my first full day home. Our elderly next door neighbour was due out of hospital that week and so mum and I walked over to her house to make sure the heating was on. Now when I say next door it half a mile away.
But it's a lovely walk, especially on a day like this.

I love this bridge which covers the beck on the way up to her house. It's two slabs of slat and have been there for a life time, still used by the sheep to cross the water. 
Once we'd checked on the house we decided it was such a lovely day that we should walk back around the fell. Here's mum in action. 
With a view back to where we had come from, the house in white. It was an old miners cottage with the quarry being up on the fell. 
This view is a bit further along on what is called Postman's path as it's the route the postman used to cycle on over to the next valley. Honestly! We are talking a long time ago mind.... 
Normally we would turn off Postman's path and head down the hill back to our house but it was such a nice day we thought we would walk a little further up the hill. And the views at the top were amazing. In the background above is a dormant volcano called Black Combe 
And this is a peak over into the next valley over. 
A selfie of mum and I basking in the sunshine. 

And then we made our way back down the hill for a well earned cup of coffee. 
I live in Brixton nowadays having moved to the Big City 25 years ago but I always treasure the time I have when I come home and escape from the madness for a couple of days to recharge my batteries. The sunshine certainly helps as it's often in short supply in Cumbria! 

Comments

Popular Posts